Welcome to the world, Into the Tall, Tall Grass. It’s…
PB Frenzy Review: What Do You Do With An Idea?
What Do You Do With An Idea? By Kobi Yamada and Illustrated By Mae Besom
This is the story of one brilliant idea and the child who helps to bring it into the world. As the child’s confidence grows, so does the idea itself. And then, one day, something amazing happens. This is a story for anyone, at any age, who’s ever had an idea that seemed a little too big, too odd, too difficult. It’s a story to inspire you to welcome that idea, to give it some space to grow, and to see what happens next. Because your idea isn’t going anywhere. In fact, it’s just getting started.Goodreads
My Thoughts While Reading
- Black and white sketches with a golden egg that gradually grows. As the egg grows, more color is added to the page.
- “I liked being with my idea. It made me feel more alive, like I could do anything. It encouraged me to think big…and then to think bigger.”
- “You can change the world.”
For the Class
- Discussion: What is the symbolism? How do illustrations add to a story?
- Describe an idea you had. What feelings did you have around that idea? Did you worry about what others would think? Did anyone ridicule your idea? How did it end?
- Lesson: Theme
- Lesson: Growth mindset
- Writing Lesson: Ideas trait writing; generating ideas for writing.
You can view more about the titles I read during the Picture Book Frenzy on this page.