Jeffrey Kluger’s new novel, Disaster Strikes! The Most Dangerous Space…
I’m Worried by Michael Ian Black and Debbie Ridpath Ohi
A girl, a flamingo, and a worried potato star in the third book in New York Times bestselling author Michael Ian Black and illustrator Debbie Ridpath Ohi’s series about feelings—and why they’re good, even when they feel bad.Goodreads
Potato is worried. About everything.
Because anything might happen.
When he tells his friends, he expects them to comfort him by saying that everything will be okay. Except they don’t. Because it might not be, and that’s okay too. Still, there’s one thing they can promise for sure: no matter what happens…they will always be by his side.
My Thoughts While Reading
- “For the worriers. Take a breath. Right now, in this moment, you are fine. And this moment is all that matters.”
- “…but over time they turned out okay.”
- “Enjoy the now.”
All of those quotes listed above are so important for ALL OF US to hear. Find a way to notice when you are worried about something out of your control and take a breath-enjoy the now! I love the message of this book so much.
For the Class
Here are some writing prompts students could do that were inspired by this book:
- Enjoy the now: What does that look like? Why is it important for us to enjoy the now?
- Describe a time something bad happened and later you realized everything would be okay?
- Write an advice book on how to deal with an emotion.
You can view more about the titles I read during the Picture Book Frenzy on this page.